Malika Andrews returns to The Bluff

The groundbreaking ESPN star visited campus for the first time since graduating in 2017

By Maggie Dapp | October 1, 2024 9:00am
dsc6921
Malika Andrews enters The Beacon newsroom in St. Mary's. Andrews served as a sports reporter and editor at The Beacon, and later became editor-in-chief.
Media Credit: Natalie Gordon / The Beacon

On Sept. 16, Malika Andrews (‘17) walked into The Beacon’s quaint newsroom in St. Mary’s. No longer a student journalist hustling to deliver the latest issue to campus newsstands, Andrews, now 29 and a polished, high-powered ESPN host, took in the room like a time capsule. 

Looking around the room in awe, Andrews pointed to her pinned-up stories and framed awards, still displayed in the newsroom almost a decade later. 

Malika Andrews, ESPN reporter and host of 'NBA Today,' looks through print editions of The Beacon on the wall of the newsroom. Andrews served as a sports reporter and editor at The Beacon, and later became editor-in-chief.
by Natalie Gordon / The Beacon

Invited by President Robert Kelly to share her story with the University of Portland community, Andrews’ return to The Bluff was a full-circle moment, where she recounted her journey from UP to sports media stardom as the face of ESPN’s NBA coverage and the first woman to anchor the NBA Draft. 

“Malika is someone of which we are so proud,” Kelly said. “Her story needs to be amplified, and that is why I invited her to spend some time with us.”

Andrews’ trip to the newsroom was a detour from the schedule Kelly had invited her to take part in. Andrews spoke at two events: a campus-wide talk titled “In Conversation With Malika Andrews” in Buckley Center Auditorium, hosted by legendary sports broadcaster Ann Schatz, and a private session for The Beacon staff and the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee in Brian Doyle Auditorium. 

Malika Andrews, ESPN reporter and host of 'NBA Today,' sits in the Buckley Center Auditorium with Ann Schatz, the first female TV sportscaster in Oregon and longtime Portland sports journalist. Schatz interviewed Andrews for the event titled 'In Conversation with Malika Andrews.'
by Natalie Gordon / The Beacon

As one of UP’s most celebrated alumni, she drew a large and enthusiastic crowd, sharing her story and advice, all rooted in her beginnings in the small newsroom of The Beacon.

Andrews’ UP roots

Originally from Oakland, California, Andrews arrived at the university in 2013 and sought a larger purpose outside of her academics after her initial year on campus. Ultimately, she found this purpose at The Beacon. 

Andrews quickly developed a passion for journalism in the fast-paced newsroom, under the bright lights of Merlo Field and among rows of Pilot-purple seats in the Chiles Center. Throughout her sophomore year, Andrews poured herself into journalism on campus, quickly being promoted to Sports Editor and then Editor-In-Chief in her final year at UP.

“I majored in The Beacon,” Andrews said. “I spent more time in The Beacon than anywhere else.” 

Andrews surrounded by the rest of the Beacon Editorial Board in April 2016, when The Beacon published its final weekly print edition.It became an all-digital publication in 2016-17, when Andrews was editor-in-chief. Photo courtesy of Nancy Copic.

When asked about moments that set her on the path she walks today, Andrews recounted her coverage of a former Pilot soccer player who was injured by a collision with a cement wall on Merlo Field. While interviewing the director of sports medicine, Andrews learned that padding for the wall had been previously recommended to the school’s administration — a detail that made it into Andrews’ final draft. 

Soon after the story’s publication, the wall was padded five inches thick. 

Photo of a 2014 Beacon article where Malika Andrews reports on a serious head injury suffered by freshman Jacob Hanlin during a soccer match, raising concerns about the safety of Merlo Field. Courtesy of The Beacon archives..

While Andrews hesitates to claim direct credit for the development, she believes the experience solidified her belief in the power of journalism to effect change.

“There was a part of me in writing that and seeing that what I wrote had some very small piece in effecting change, that felt like, ‘OK, I can do this [journalism] here,’” Andrews said. 

Andrews emphasized that while she recognized the power of journalism, her entry into the field had its difficulties. 

She faced discouragement from those who warned her about the industry's cutthroat and often unlucrative nature. Despite this, her determination to succeed ultimately propelled her toward her goals.

“In my head, somewhat bullishly, somewhat naively, I always said, ‘Watch me,’” Andrews said. “And once I did that here at UP, there were so many people who were willing to say, OK, let me see how I can help push you the way that you are kind of pushing yourself.’”

Andrews, a Black and Jewish woman, also discussed the challenges she faces in the industry due to her identities and relayed advice to students that she's received on how to handle those who doubt her talent. 

"And I heard this from a friend and colleague of mine," Andrews said. "I can't take credit for it, but I will repeat it as often as I can when I get a question like this is: 'You know what? Maybe I did get the job because I'm a black woman. Maybe I didn't. Maybe I am a big fat diversity hire. But guess what? I'm on my third contract at ESPN. I'm one of the highest-paid women at the company, and that's not a DEI thing. That is because I am good, and that is because I belong.'"

Malika Andrews, ESPN reporter and host of 'NBA Today,' poses for a photo in front of the newsroom with Nancy Copic, Assistant Director of Student Media and advisor to The Beacon.
by Natalie Gordon / The Beacon

Nancy Copic, assistant director for student media and adviser to The Beacon, was thrilled with Andrews’ return and the opportunity for students to meet her at the event. 

“It was the most wonderful full circle moment for me,” Copic said. “I vividly remember her as a sophomore, and at her core, she is the same driven person with immense integrity. It was so cool to have her here and have current students meet her.” 

The Road to ESPN 

After graduating UP in 2017, Andrews dove headfirst into the world of professional journalism, becoming a James Reston Reporting Fellow in the sports wing of The New York Times. 

Andrews covering the Super Bowl for the New York Times in 2018. Photo courtesy of Malika Andrews’ Instagram post.

Though her initial three-month internship at The Times was extended twice for a total of 9 months, the paper ultimately decided not to offer her a permanent position, a crushing rejection for Andrews. Andrews went on to work for The Chicago Tribune, covering the NBA in their midwest region. 

Then, ESPN came knocking. 

For Andrews, who had dreamed of a career at a prestigious newspaper, the transition from print to the bright lights of TV wasn’t easy. 

“TV was complicated for me,” Andrews said. “I loved writing because I loved that what I said walked into a room before I did… I wanted to be a person with substance, and I had to kind of get over a hurdle in my own mind, that television was secondary to a place like the New York Times.” 

Andrews today 

Today, Andrews has reconciled those complicated feelings into a shining career. As the face of ESPN’s NBA coverage and host of NBA Today and NBA Countdown, her rise to success has been palpable. In 2022, she made history as the first woman to host the NBA draft and earned a Sports Emmy for Outstanding Personality/Emerging On-Air Talent. 

View this post on Instagram

With her success, however, comes heightened scrutiny. 

Andrews has faced outrage from NBA fans, particularly for her coverage of sensitive issues such as sexual assault allegations within the league. When asked how she balances incorporating this high-stakes reporting with journalistic integrity, she emphasized her unwavering commitment to the truth.

“My duty and my allegiances are to our viewers,” Andrews said. “I always tell players, ‘You're not always going to like me, but I aim to be fair, I aim to be accurate and I aim to be honest. And if I'm not one of those three things, you have my phone number, you can call me.’”

Andrews admits, however, that she hasn’t covered every controversial issue perfectly and has had to learn when to use her voice and when to stay quiet. 

“At the times that I have felt like I could cover something wrong, I’ve asked myself three questions,” Andrews said. “Does this need to be said? Does it need to be said now? And does it need to be said by me? And there have been times where the first two are yes, but the last one, I didn't need to be the person to do that.” 

Paving the way 

As Andrews sits at the top of her industry, she is committed to lifting up the next generation. She explained that journalism’s competitive nature can limit opportunity, leaving only one spot at the table, but Andrews aims to create a few more.

“It should never be on us to have to create that extra seat,” Andrews said. “But unfortunately, it is, and it has been for a while. If I can have the opportunity to look around and say, ‘She's up next and let me help her do it,’ that's something I want to be a part of.”

Malika Andrews, ESPN reporter and host of 'NBA Today,' receives a gift from the University of Portland and Dr. Robert Kelly. The gift is a framed photo of the UP campus.
by Natalie Gordon / The Beacon

Andrews gave nearly two hours of advice to the campus community. At the end of the event, Andrews received a photo of the campus as a gift from Dr. Kelly and the UP community. Graduate student and Pilot volleyball player Neveah Bray handed her the picture, making sure to remind Andrews that the door is always open for a return.

“You will always have a home here on The Bluff with us,” Bray said.

Maggie Dapp is the Sports Editor at The Beacon. She can be reached at dapp26@up.edu

Editors Note: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated graduate student and Pilot volleyball player Neveah Bray gifted the photo to Andrews. The photo was gifted by the university and Dr. Kelly