Cozy shows to get you through sweater weather

Bring the autumn leaves and cloudy skies indoors with these TV recommendations

By The Beacon | September 12, 2024 4:30pm
advice-for-first-year-pilots
Graphic by Camille Kuroiwa-Lewis

The days are getting shorter, the trees are losing leaves, and yet, early September’s heatwave has Portlanders begging for fall to arrive sooner. As you wait for the rain to fall upon us, The Beacon staff have compiled the best cozy and spooky show recommendations to bring autumn into your home. 

“Freaks and Geeks”

Nominated by Camille Kuroiwa-Lewis, Living Section Editor

Fall means pumpkin pie, long cardigans and the start of school. Watching Judd Apatow’s “Freaks and Geeks” is the best way to throw yourself back to the fall quarter of ninth grade without pulling out your P.E. uniform. Set in the ‘80s, freak Lindsay Weir and her geek brother, Sam, survive locker-shoving bullying, cheerleader crushes and overbearing parents. Through dark humor and ‘80s references, the show manages to get viewers to root for Lindsay as she navigates her first toxic relationships and for Sam as he escapes the terror of high school through “Dungeons and Dragons.” Meanwhile, the show’s costume and set design feature backgrounds of fading leaves and burgundy sweaters. Besides the perfect fall vibes, another bonus of watching “Freaks and Geeks” is spotting some of your favorite actors brace television for the first time: Seth Rogan debuted television on the show, amongst other favorites like Jason Segel and Busy Phillips

“The Vampire Diaries”

Nominated by Julianna Pedone, News and Managing Editor

Hello, Fall! Or should I say, hello, brother? When you think of fall, cozy sweaters, crisp air and colorful leaves probably come to mind. But this autumn, instead of reaching for the usual pumpkin spice latte, why not sink your teeth into something a little more…dramatic? “The Vampire Diaries” is the ultimate fall binge watch, offering more than just vampire drama — it's a perfect blend of spooky, nostalgic and cozy entertainment that pairs perfectly with the season. Set against the backdrop of the Georgia countryside, the series captures fall at its finest. The small-town charm of Mystic Falls, where the story takes place, feels as though it was plucked straight from an autumn catalog, complete with changing leaves, old historic homes and just the right amount of foggy mystery. While the show might be best known for its intense love triangle and supernatural twists, it’s also filled with the kind of warmth and familiarity that makes you want to curl up under a blanket. So, this fall, grab some hot cocoa, pull out your coziest sweater and transport yourself to Mystic Falls. 

“Gilmore Girls”

Nominated by Netty Jurriaans, Community Engagement Editor

Let’s be real, this is the show everyone would’ve picked if I didn’t claim it first. “Gilmore Girls” is the fall show — with the small town setting, morning coffee and 2000s fall outfits. There is truly nothing better than watching this show cozy in your bed while the leaves start to fall outside. Mother-and-daughter duo Lorelei and Rory take viewers on a seven-season journey through the highs and lows of Rory’s time in high school and college. While Rory and Lorelei are the main characters, it’s the other town locals that truly make the show. There is a character for everyone to resonate with, whether it’s Luke, the grumpy diner owner, or Michel, the sassy concierge at the local inn. If you have watched “Gilmore Girls” before, you know that it never gets old, and if you have yet to watch it, be prepared to fall in love with the town of Stars Hollow and all of the people in and around it. 

“Teen Wolf” (Seasons 1-3)

Nominated by Tiffany Marquez Escobar, DEI Editor 

Dare I say, it’s an MTV classic. “Teen Wolf” puts a modern spin on the 1985 movie of the same name. Set in the creepy small town of Beacon Hills, California, the show revolves around Scott McCall and Stiles Stilinski, two geeky best friends who can’t seem to get playing time on their school’s lacrosse team. When Scott gets bitten and becomes a werewolf, their whole life changes and they suddenly find themselves fighting against the supernatural. It’s dramatic, it’s chilling, it’s the perfect show to watch on a dark, rainy Portland night. Who can name a better way to get ready for Halloween? Besides, vampires aren’t the only ones who deserve the hype. 

“The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”

Nominated by Lexi Buckner, Photographer

Some people like Twisted Teas, but I prefer twisted shows. “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” has different themes that keep it bingeable. Plus, the videography and editing are very dark, which is perfect for a fall night with a cozy blanket, dim lighting and snacks. “The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” is a coming-of-age tale that blends horror, fear, love and witchcraft. Set in the fictional town of Greendale, it follows Sabrina Spellman — a half-witch, half-mortal — as she grapples with her dual identity and faces the forces that endanger her and those around her in the human world. As her 16th birthday approaches, Sabrina is forced to make a pivotal decision: to embrace the magical realm of her family or remain in the human world with her friends. This series is adapted from the Archie comics of the same name.

“Gossip Girl”

Nominated by Kalena O’Connell, News Reporter

It’s a tell-all fall! Dive into the relationships, secrets and scandals of the wealthy teenagers of the Upper East Side. Romanticize high school, fashion, friendships, young love and family drama with the backdrop of New York City autumn. Grab a seat at the Van Der Woodsens' Thanksgiving table to unveil shocking gossip in true holiday fashion. Tensions run high in Season 3, Episode 11: “The Treasure of Serena Madre,” leaving the party in fight and flight mode, all set to Jason Derulo’s “Whatcha Say.” Iconic. Gossip Girl is gasp-worthy certified. I wish I could watch it again for the first time, but you can!

“Halloween Wars”

Nominated by Samantha Zavala, News Reporter

I don't know about you, but whenever fall comes around, my inner baker comes out. As soon as the leaves turn red, I feel the need to bake as many sweet treats as possible. But as a busy college student, there’s simply no time to do so — which is why “Halloween Wars” is the perfect binge-watch, a competition-style baking show where teams compete by creating Halloween-themed cake and candy displays. There’s drama, ambitious designs and a grand prize of $50,000. With each season being under 10 episodes, there’s always new people to root for and new creations to admire. It's the perfect way to get into the fall mood and the Halloween spirit.

“Riverdale” (Seasons 1 and 2)

Nominated by Natalie Gordon, Multimedia Editor 

OK, look: I know it’s bad. It's so bad that sometimes it’s good. It’s a classic hate-watch with some hilarious dialogue and genuinely interesting plot points, such as the mysterious murder of a beloved teenager and a repentance-seeking serial killer. These plots, amongst the regular highschool drama that comes with school dances and love triangles, make it an intriguing show. The production is not bad for the CW; the sets, props and costumes are a surprising level of high quality. The first two seasons are a great autumn watch with plenty of spooky vibes and a cute dog named Vegas that occasionally shows up. Give it a try (or a re-try) this fall. 

“Only Murders in the Building”

Nominated by Naara Conlon, Social Media Reporter 

As the leaves change color and the air gets colder, there’s nothing better than curling up in a blanket with a hot cup of apple cider and watching a murder mystery. The show follows a trio of polar opposites who bond over their shared obsession of true crime after growing suspicions of their deceiving neighbors in their Upper West Side apartment building. After collecting clues, they begin a podcast to encapsulate their adventures. It’s witty, strangely wholesome and Meryl Streep makes a guest appearance, so what could be better?

“The Queen’s Gambit”

Nominated by Kaylee Monahan, News/Sports Reporter 

Whether you’re a chess enthusiast or simply appreciate a well-crafted character study, fall back in time this autumn to the 1950s with “The Queen’s Gambit.” With drearier skies and later nights in the library, the mid-semester slump seems to sneak in rather quickly in the fall. What’s a more perfect anecdote than a chess prodigy navigating a male-dominated field to harness inspiration for your studies? Pair it with a warm cup of apple cider, and you’ll be drawn into Beth Harmon’s wild story and atmospheric charm. 

“Peaky Blinders”

Nominated by Ethan Sanders, News Reporter

Nothing about this show is necessarily fall-like — it’s pretty brutal and follows a mob-like family after World War 1 — but something about it still feels like such a fall show. It takes place in Birmingham, so it’s always dark and cloudy, which to me feels like the back half of Portland’s rainy autumns. 

“Spongebob Squarepants”

Nominated by Riley Martinez, Copy and Opinions editor. 

Signaling the beginning of a new school year, fall is practically the season of nostalgia. Plus, fall weather is a good excuse to stay inside — and any excuse to stay inside is a good excuse to watch “Spongebob.” Chances are, you haven’t watched a full episode since you were eight. So if you’re looking for something to watch during this nostalgic season while you’re stuck inside, take it from me: “Spongebob” hits differently as an adult. From empathizing with Squidward to recognizing Mr. Krabs as the ultimate capitalist archetype, watching “Spongebob” in your twenties toes an interesting line between provocation and brain rot.

And admit it: You want to sing the intro. 

“Wednesday”

Nominated by Amanda Stern, Photographer

TL/DR: Wednesday is an iconic, well-done remake of a classic, full of incredibly witty and intelligent dialogue, excellent acting and the dance of the season.

TW: mild gore, jump-scare scenes and spooky Halloween horror themes and characters

Spooky season is nearly upon us, so what better way to cozy up and embrace the spirit of the season than with an incredibly written, directed and acted spooky show? “Wednesday,” starring Jenna Ortega, even pays homage to its predecessor, 1991 “The Addams Family,” as the new Wednesday Addams encounters a new character played by the 1991 Wednesday actress, Christina Ricci. The two meet throughout the show in some surprisingly plot-twisted ways. Have I watched this show more than once? Yes. And will I unabashedly dance dance dance with my hands hands hands every time I hear the show’s theme song by our lord and savior — I mean iconic mother — Gaga? Also yes. So if you’re on a spooky season kick and need a binge-worthy show (that, if you’re like me, you have probably already watched more than once), Wednesday is the move. 

“I Am Not Okay With This”

Nominated by Kimberly Cortez, Editor-in-Chief

I binged this show when I discovered it on Netflix a few years ago. With a blend of the supernatural flare from a show like “Stranger Things” and the personal turmoil of “End of the F***ing World,” this show is the perfect watch to ease you into the spooky season. The show follows our main character, Sydney Novak, as she navigates the complex and often dramatic high school ecosystem while exploring her sexuality and supernatural powers. After all, the best part about the fall is waiting for Halloween. 

“Killing Eve” (Season 1) 

Nominated by Maggie Dapp, Sports Editor

Vampires this, werewolves that: What about a woman who kills by sticking venomous hairpins into eyeballs? Seems pretty scary to me. This spooky season, turn off the big light and cozy up with a cup of something warm to watch Villanelle, a delightfully precise, psychotic and creative assassin, wreak havoc while MI6 agent Eve Polastri tracks her across countries and crimes, fascinated by Villanelle and what drives her to kill. The locations are grandiose, the acting is superb and the series is full of the kind of complex characters we’ve come to expect from Phoebe Waller-Bridge. So have a seat, light a candle and let the obsessive tension of Eve and Villanelle’s off-kilter relationship enthrall you. 

This list was compiled by The Beacon staff. We can be reached at beaconeditor@upbeacon.com.